How To Have an Address When Full Time RVing

Posted in How To's on September 15, 2018 Last Updated on September 15, 2018

One of the first things new full time RVers need is an address. Your insurance will ask where your RV is “located” most of the year, your driver’s license needs your physical address, and if you want to register to vote, it all requires a physical address.

You first step is to choose what state you are going to call your new home. There a several states to choose from, including Texas, Florida, South Dakota, and a few others. You’ll want to research states that work for full time RVers and choose the one that best fits your needs.

When it was time for us to go full time, we chose Florida because it’s where we planned to spend our first few winters as full timers, there is no yearly state inspection, no state income tax, and a few other things that made it more convenient for our situation.

Once you have your state chosen, you will need to create an account with one of the mail forwarding services for that state. Your options include Escapees in several of the full timer states and, our chosen service, St. Brendan’s Isle in Florida.

Once you have your account and address set up, it is simply a matter of visiting the state’s DMV website, and determining what you need to start transfering your license. Many times, you can also find a “How to become a resident” page that is great for full time RVers. For example, St. Brendan’s Isle has a guide to becoming a Florida resident.

With your state residency changed and your mail forwarding account created, you are now ready to start handing out your shiny new address to any organization that needs it.

Not sure how to get all the mail that your mail forwarding will be accumulating? Need to just get a few items, without the need to change residence?
We have a post for how to receive your mail on the road too!


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.